Cooking with Kids: Three Bean Salad Recipe

Picky Eaters Here I Come!

With the weather getting warmer and Easter and Passover days away, I thought this recipe would be a great addition to your holiday meal.

Some kids are great eaters, they will eat a variety of different foods. Until they reach a certain age. What did we say that age was? Do you remember? The age is around 10 -12 months. 

Once a child hits five years old though, their taste buds have changed again and will continually change. Even adults find their tastes change over the years. This recipe will be a sure fire hit for even your pickiest of eaters!

How do I know? I tried it on me, and I still am a picky eater, ask my husband.

Most kids LOVE raw veggies and this recipe is packed with them. 


The easiest thing about this recipe is that I don't cook anything. The recipe calls to blanch the string beans. I honestly don't even bother. Once you mix the dressing, the string beans are sitting in olive oil (I Only Use Olive Olive) and vinegar. That alone will soften them up, yet still leave them crunchy.

The best part about this recipe? You can use any veggie in your salad you want. I've used celery, various colors of peppers, onions, carrots, chick peas, and snow peas. I even threw in cannellini beans one time.

The worst part about this recipe? I hate the amount of sugar that goes into it. (Lets be honest, we want a healthy meal for our family.) I tried cutting the sugar. Don't bother, it needs the sugar. The only way I have found to substitute this is by using salt instead.    



Isn't that beautiful? I love the crisp clean bright colors of this salad. Raw vedalia onion, crisp raw carrots cut to length, crisp raw string beans, and I used canned drained and rinsed chick peas in mine. When you make this recipe, don't be shy, be creative. Add different veggies each time until you find a mixture you love. The dressing stays the same, but the different veggies you use give it a different flavor each time.



Once you have everything mixed together, (I like to put mine in a big glass container with a plastic lid) store in the refrigerator. Make sure you take it out and mix once in a while because the dressing will settle to the bottom.

I find this is best made the day before, but don't worry, this recipe won't last, and your picky eaters will always come back for more!  Enjoy the moments! Cherish the memories!


Until Next time- Cynthia

 


<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/21566459/?claim=buj2brxu6vn">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


 

Comments