Banana Bread: A Family Favorite


Growing up, one of the first recipes I learned how to make was this recipe right here. Helen Gray's Banana Bread. Who is Helen Grey? Honestly, I have no idea, but she makes delicious banana bread.

I remember standing at the kitchen counter as a child, barely able to see inside the bowl using a fork to mash up each banana. That was the rule, if you couldn't mash the banana with a fork, then the banana wasn't ripe enough. After all, you want the texture of the banana to be smooth and velvety in the bread, not hard and clumpy. 

When I started cooking with my boys, I used this same recipe with them. I gave each of them a turn mashing up the bananas, sometimes I even gave them their own bowl and banana so they could mash together with out any fighting. I let each of my boys measure and pour all the ingredients into the bowl. Then each of them got to mix it all together before we poured the mixture into the loaf pan to bake. I usually let them both pour the mixture into the pan taking turns. 



Cooking with your kids is fun, but don't forget to break everything down for them. Start at the very beginning. Remember, this is new to them. 

1. Have them read the recipe, or read it together. Make sure they understand what needs to be done. Don't get overly into it, just talk about the kitchen tools needed for what they are going to make and answer any questions they might have. 

2. Have them take out the tools and ingredients: the measuring cups, the spoons, the bowl, the flour, the eggs, and anything else needed for the recipe. Let them identify and understand the tools and ingredients needed for the recipe.

3. Talk about what comes next. What is the first thing the directions say to do?

A recipe is all about following directions. This is a staple in learning. I know following more than 2 or 3 directions for my oldest was extremely difficult, so taking the extra time to go slow, reading the directions all the way through and going slow helps a lot with retention. Using the same recipe over and over and having them get familiar with it and the steps need to get the job done goes a long way.

Remember, have fun. Enjoy this time in the kitchen. I promise you and your children will make a mess. But it will be a beautiful mess, and totally worth making! 

Enjoy the moments! Cherish the memories!

Until next time - Cynthia 

Comments